Sunday, February 19, 2012

Is it OK to be a follower?


 “You have followed...” – Part 1
(2 Timothy 3:10)
10 You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, 11 my persecutions and sufferings that happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra—which persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me.

You, however, have followed
Paul has been warning Timothy about false men who have the appearance of being godly but deny the power of godliness. He encourages his son in the faith that he does not consider Timothy to be one of these men..

Timothy has followed Paul as Paul has followed Christ. A true Christian minister and friend can ask for nothing more than that.

my teaching,
Timothy has followed Paul's teaching that the apostle received from Jesus Christ. To follow a mentor's teaching means to believe and teach others the same content of the faith, with the same sense of proportion and passion. We would all do well to have heat where God has granted us light. This is part of following a balanced teacher.

my conduct,
Timothy has also followed Paul's conduct. If Paul would boast about anything regarding His own conduct, we know what it would be. It would not be his success, but His suffering. Timothy has been willing to suffer inconvenience and persecution for the Name of Jesus Christ. Without this conduct, the teaching would have very little meaning.

my aim in life
Timothy has followed Paul's aim in life. Paul is preaching and living the cross of Christ as one who is stretching toward the prize of the eternal. Paul presses on toward that aim, that hope, and so does his child in the faith and ministry, Timothy.

We are not all that sure what we think about following.

It seems like an admission of weakness that is not commendable. This attitude against following is not a good impulse, but a proud defiance of the lordship of Jesus.

Jesus was the true Son of the Father in truth and love. He did what He saw His Father do. He said what He heard His father say.

Each of us needs to connect directly with Him, to make the kind of commitment to really following Him that He demands and grants to us, and to have the gift of passion that comes with that commitment. Only then will we have heaven's power for the kingdom of God on earth today.

But that direct connection with Him does not mean that we live a life of spiritual isolation without any mentors or followers, God wants us to be in community with each other in the church. We do not follow superstar celebrity pastors or Christian personalities who we would be shocked to actually see in person. We get to live with real children of God.